Japan Rail Pass

The Japan National Rail Pass is for unlimited travel on Japan Rail lines and selected buses and ferries


Duration Class Adult (12+) Child (6-11)
07 Day Economy NZD $436 NZD $217
14 Day Economy NZD $694 NZD $347
21 Day Economy NZD $888 NZD $444
07 Day Green NZD $582 NZD $291
14 Day Green NZD $942 NZD $471
21 Day Green NZD $1,226 NZD $613

Purchase a JR Pass

With 12,400 miles of tracks you can rail almost anywhere in Japan.

  • Unlimited rail travel throughout Japan on the JR lines.
  • Available for a 7, 14 or 21 consecutive day period.
  • This pass offers Economy (2nd class) or Green (1st class) travel.

The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on " NOZOMI " and " MIZUHO " trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen lines. (The pass holders must take " HIKARI ", " SAKURA", " KODAMA " or " TSUBAME " trains.) If you use a " NOZOMI " or " MIZUHO " train, you must pay the basic fare and the limited express charge, and for a Green Car the Green Car surcharge. In addition, if you use the Gran Class car of the Tohoku Shinkansen, you must pay the limited express charge and the Gran Class car surcharge.
Note also that passengers using JR trains on non-JR lines must pay additional fares and charges for sections traveled on such lines. Some JR trains use the lines of private railways for direct services.

There are 15 types of Japan Rail Pass!

Who is eligible for the JAPAN RAIL PASS?

The JAPAN RAIL PASS is a special ticket that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sight-seeing. To be eligible to purchase a JAPAN RAIL PASS you must meet one of the following two conditions.

1. You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of " Temporary Visitor ".

" Temporary Visitor " entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sight-seeing, etc. " If you apply for a " stay for sight-seeing " when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as " Temporary Visitor " as shown below. Only persons who have a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS.

Examples of the "Temporary Visitor" entry status stamp

If you visit Japan with an Exchange Order (H.I.S. Exchange Order) to be exchanged in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless they have " Temporary Visitor " status; to enter Japan under any other official status, such as " Trainee " or " Entertainer " or " Re-entry Permit ", will make the pass invalid. Please note that according to strict interpretation of Japanese Immigration Law, " Temporary Visitor " status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.


2. Japanese people living abroad who meet the following conditions

People who have both their Japanese passport and written proof - obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live - that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
Australian Residents travelling on a Japanese Passport are not allowed to purchase JR East, West, Kyushu, Hokkaido, Central or Shikoku Rail Passes.

Acceptable written proof

(1) Copy of your Overseas Residential Registration issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live (limited to an Overseas Residential Registration with a date of acceptance at least 10 years earlier)

(2) Certificate of Overseas Residence issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live (limited to a Certificate of Overseas Residence with a date at least 10 years earlier as the date on which your address (or place of temporary residence) was established as your present address)

(3) As a special case limited to the USA, Brazil, and Canada, the Permanent Resident Card issued by these 3 countries can be used as written proof until further notice (limited to a Permanent Resident Card confirming your stay in the relevant country for 10years or more).
>> Click to see more details

  • In regard to (1) , if a single copy of your Overseas Residential Registration verifies that any family members living with you in the country have stayed for 10 consecutive years or more, such a document is valid for those family members.
  • Concerning children (under 12 years of age) whose stay in the country is less than 10 years at the time of purchase of an Exchange Order, if a single copy of the Overseas Residential Registration stated in (1) verifies that they live together with the applicant whose stay in the country is 10 consecutive years or more, and if they also use the JAPAN RAIL PASS together with that applicant, their eligibility requirements are satisfied.
  • The copy of the Overseas Residential Registration and the Certificate of Overseas Residence are only valid for 6 months after the date of issue.
  • You cannot use a photocopy of your written proof to purchase an Exchange Order or to exchange your Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
  • Definition of “10years or more”: At the time of purchase of an Exchange Order, a date in the same month 10 years earlier or before is valid.
    (Example) In the case of the purchase of an Exchange Order on June 1, 2017, a date any time in June 2007 or earlier is valid.
    (A date between June 1 and June 30, 2007 is deemed as “June 2007” and valid.)
  • You can purchase an Exchange Order and exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS only if you can present any one of the written proof described in the above (1) to (3).